Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Day 9, lake minatare to Guernsey State Park, Wyoming

 Today was a busy—and once again hot—day. We left one very confusing campground, only to arrive at another confusing one late in the day. Between those two episodes, however, we visited Scotts Bluff, Robidoux Pass, and Fort Laramie. We are now settled in campsite number nine, a lovely spot that may actually be intended for day use. However, since the park appears to be completely empty except for us, I hope no one minds. At Fort Laramie, there are beautiful reconstructions showing what the fort looked—or might have looked—after 1875. I, however, was interested only in what the Donner Party might have experienced when they passed through in 1846. At that time, the small trading post was known as Fort John. The site on which it stood is now vacant, but taking a photograph from a distance was enough to give me a sense of the environment the Donner Party encountered as they passed through here 180 years ago. I will send a few photos of today’s activities after we are completely settled in to the spot. Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment