Saturday, September 19, 2026

Day 12, September 19, Grantsville, Utah near the great Salt Lake

The day got off to a bad start when chip fell to put on itinerary for the day the location of the caution note found by Reid at the Weber Crossing. I sell right by it without seeing it. Chip also failed to mention to me another important stop along the way at broad Hollow, which I happen to come across myself, and castigated him for not pointing that out. Wh When I finally realized my oversight at Mormon flat, 22 miles in the distance, I had to go back to see that Weber Crossing location, and did. Then, instead of directing me to backtrack again to continue along the Donner party trail, thought he was doing me a favor by directing me and an alternate route to the next item on my itinerary. To make a long story short, that oversight cost me over 100 miles. Nevertheless, made up for it by performing as a superb tour guide to take me through the rest of the important transactions that took place in this route through the WASATCH mountains here’s the list of transactions for the Donna party that we encountered. I suggest if you’re registered what they are Google them rather than my trying to explain them. Weber River Crossing Broad Hollow Dixie Hollow East Canyon Mormon Flat Reed’s Gap—just south of Big Mountain Mountain Dell Little Mountain Emigration Canyon Donner Hill Great Salt Lake Great Salt Lake State Park Black Rock Adobe Rock Grantsville—Luke Halloran’s death and burial area Grantsville Reservoir Campground At first, Chip was recommending that I stay in the salt Lake State Park right on the lake, but when I got there, it was full. Which is all the better because I would’ve been relegated to an RV park, which I wanted to avoid, or, if I wish to pitch the tent, I would have to walk some distance onto the great Salt Lake flat, which I was not claimed to do, mainly for time purposes. So, chipped directed me further across the great Salt Lake to a great little camp in Grantsville, which is where we are now camped, and which has some important significance for the Donner party journey. So far, I probably have travel through five episodes of the Donner party trail, with perhaps two more to go. If you are interested in what we are going to go through tomorrow in retracing, what the Donners went through, I suggest you ask Google to tell you about the Donner parties journey over the great Salt Lake. Just as their journey through the WASATCH mountains was unbelievably difficult, so too, was their journey over the great Salt Lake. Below is a photo of our campsite in Grantsville. Wonderful site. Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. 9/20...12:45AM......they say the Great salt Lake smells bad...and has a lot of annoying flies that like the high concentration of salt. True ?

    ReplyDelete