Monday, September 7, 2026

Monday, September 7, home

NOTE: When I email these posts, instead of jumping to a new paragraph where I do, Google inserts something like this: >>>. I complained about it to their AI bot, so it is hoped that they fixed it. If not, please bear with me until it is fixed.

 

We still plan to shove off on Tuesday morning. If the storage shelf for the rear of the Grenadier does not arrive by today, Monday, we will leave directly for the first camp, Cooper's Rock near Morgantown W, about 250 miles away. (I'm going to try to limit my miles per day to something less than 300). If the shelf does arrive, then we will leave at 8 o'clock stop off at the INEOS dealer in Silver Spring to have him install the shelf. Otherwise, the shelf will get installed at an Ineos dealer in Dublin Ohio (just beyond Columbus).

 

Although we plan to shove off and Tuesday morning, I still have all the packing to do, items for which make up almost 5 pages my to take list. I admit that I suffer from the Overpacking Disorder when I am driving, but I would rather have these items with me than to have to take an hour on the road each day to pick up items that I didn't take.

 

Since the purpose of the trip is essentially to pick up where Donner and I had to turn back home in 2021 do his illness, I spent some time today refreshing my notes on the Donner party trail route that we planned back then. If there's one destination on that trail that I have an interest in seeing it is the site in Nevada where John Snyder, a driver for one of the members of the party, was killed in an act of self-defense by Jim Reed.  His burial spot is in an unmarkred location alone a dirct road in the high desert 11 miles from the nearest town (160 people) and was only discovered (but not uncovered) about 15 years ago by burial canines.

 

It’s time to get packing and loading the Grenadier.  Below is the planning book for this trip.  When we return, I will have a new patch made up with Annie on it as she will have earned it, as will have the Grenadier. 

 

Uploaded Image

No comments:

Post a Comment