Monday, September 14, 2026

Day 7, leaving River edge camp in Beatrice, Nebraska, heading north Northwest, just as the Donner party did

The day got off to an auspicious start with the clouds clearing, and the sun coming out. But then, just as I was getting set to make breakfast, rain came. But it went as quickly as it came, and we got back on schedule. But then, when we were ready to leave almost at 9 o’clock, my targeted departure time, I could not find my mobile phone. Annie has this habit of rushing to occupy my seat anytime I leave the Grenadier, and in the process, knocking my mobile phone off. It’s mooring on the dashboard. After 15 minutes of unsuccessfull searching for it, I enlisted the help of a neighbor from Idaho, who called my number. At first, the ringing was coming from the Garmin, which is connected to my mobile phone. But then the ringing was coming from the speakers in my Grenadier since the mobile phone is also connected to it. After shutting both of those things off, we were finally able to track it down to its otherwise undiscoverable resting place beneath the platform in the rear. An hour behind schedule, we are on our way. My Donner thought for today… I wonder what system the Donner party used to make sure that everything was findable by being in the place it was supposed to be. Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment