Monday, September 21, 2026

Day 14 crossing the Overland pass

Here is the summary of what I had to go through to travel perhaps no more than 60 or 70 miles over rough dirt and gravel roads through the mountain range in order to cross the Overland pass, which is the same pass that the donners crossed 180 years ago. Garmin and Google maps were totally useless for this effort, probably clash many of the roads were dirt and not on any map or had any names. Twice I was given one signals, and after I determined that I was going in the wrong direction by using  a Compass, I had to turn around and backtrack in order to get on track to hit to the campsite where I am now.  I can see why people have actually died by using garmin. There was virtually no one on the road for all those miles, but fortunately, a couple days, and there was Internet if I went down the wrong path and didn’t turn around.

  1. US‑93 South from Wells
  2. NV‑229 West through Secret Pass
  3. NV‑767/County Road 788 South along Ruby Valley Road
  4. Overnight at South Ruby Campground
  5. Continued south on Ruby Valley Road/White Pine County Road 3
  6. First false alarm: Google failed to identify the turn onto Overland Pass Road/NF‑112. I passed it, realized Google had made a mistake, turned around and returned to the proper road.
  7. Followed NF‑112/White Pine County Road 6 across Overland Pass
  8. Continued onto Big Wash Road and then Huntington Road
  9. Second false alarm: Garmin and Google Maps both directed me to turn left and travel south on Huntington Road toward South Fork. I realized they were sending me in the wrong direction, turned around and headed north toward Jiggs.
  10. Reached pavement at NV‑228
  11. Followed NV‑228 north through Jiggs
  12. Turned west onto South Fork Road
  13. Arrived at South Fork State Recreation Area, site 16—the same campsite Don and I occupied in 201
Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment