Friday, August 28, 2026

Re: OTR26…Day 1, Tuesday, August 25, on the road to the Catskills

Sent from my iPad > On Aug 28, 2026, at 5:37 PM, Ed Mulrenin <edmulrenin@gmail.com> wrote: > >  >> >> It seems that I got a little rusty in going through my final preparations and packing for these road trips. But, after much procrastination, I managed to get on the road at 9:30 for the 330 mile trip to MONGOUP pond State Park near Livingston matter and the Catskills in New York. It took us almost an hour to get out of Washington DC, and we lost another hour when the GPS took me through downtown Baltimore, but after that we got on the open road, I made some time. Shortly after Scranton, the GPS surprise me by taking me down a whole network of back roads for the next 90 miles, which was quite pleasant. We arrived at the camp at 4:30 and immediately headed to site 145. >> >> I have one goal for this trip, and that is, to decide whether or not I can still take these road trips given my changing mobility for the last several years. Unless road trip of any link that I took was back in 2019. In 2020, there was no road trip given COVID. In 2021, Donner and I started out to take the DONNER party trail, but we had to turn back after three days because of his own mobility. In 2021 and 2022, I only took some local trips, because I wanted to stay close to home with Donna situation. In 2023 and 2024 I had to stay close to home because of the lawsuit some fruitcake in my condominium pulled me into, but it was worth it given that my testimony caused a fruitcake to lose. In 2025, and I spent a few nights on the Shenandoah river, at the very last campsite that DONNER and I stayed in. So, here I am, seven years later, trying to get back on the road. I will make my decision when I get home sometime between Thursday and Sunday. Where I will go, depends on several factors, but my guess is that I will start off at least picking up where DONNER and I left off back in 2021. >> >> For those wondering why I chose this destination as a shakedown it is because this palm sits right at the base of BEECH mountain, which was the site of the Boy Scout camp that introduced me to camping 71 years ago the Boy Scout camp closed down a number of years ago and the entire mountain has been taken over by the state, and it is impossible to drive to the old site as the road has grown over. However, there was a trail, and back in 2012, Laban and order, and I hike the 2 1/2 miles from the base of the mountain to the side of my old camp. In fact, what are the options for scattering my own ashes is at that camp. >> >> Removing the noise of this being the shakedown leg of this trip, I must say that setting up camp is dramatically different now that I don’t have to set up the tent, and can sleep in the back of the grenadier. Whereas in the past, it probably took me 45 minutes to an hour to set up the tent, that has been reduced to five minutes, unless I wish to set up a tarp. >> >> Because for some reason, I cannot understand more hours of sleep are required each night, we were retired about 930. The LUNO mattress that I bought was actually quite comfortable. And it fit nicely in the rear of the grenadier. I was a little bit concerned that Annie would want to expropriate it for her bed, but the comfortable dog bed that I brought along for her suited her just fine and she slept like a lot the entire night. >> >> Here’s a photo of our campsite 145 for the first night. Tomorrow, I am going to try to see if I can relocate to a site on the water. >> >> >> Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment